Friday, April 30, 2010

My perceived age versus my birthday age

My daughter Elizabeth celebrated her 26th birthday about a week ago. My son David will turn 23 in a few weeks.

And I ask myself: "How can I be old enough to have children that old?"

The age that I perceive to be and the age that I actually am don't match up. My perceived age is a lot younger than the date of birth listed on my driver's license.

It's a Baby Boomer thing. I don't think perceived age is exclusive to Baby Boomers. My mother has said on occasion that she doesn't see herself as old as her chronological years said she is. But Baby Boomers are making more noise about it because we're the generation that vowed to a) never get old or, failing that b) die before we get old.

Most of us prefer a) over b).

Del Webb, builder of 55 and older communities in several states, did a poll recently to measure Baby Boomers' outlook on life. It found that older Boomers feel an average of 13 years younger than their age.

"Baby Boomers have a much different mindset toward growing older than earlier generations," Deborah Blake, Del Webb creative director, said in a statement. "Feeling older is just a state of mind for many of them -- one that most have no interest in."

It's why we believe that 50 is the new 40, that 60 is the new 45.

Part of the perception is driven by a connection to an idealism borne of the 1960s and '70s that our relevance as a generation still counts. So we've remained engaged in communities, politics and parenting. To a certain extent, we still think we're smarter than everyone else.

I can still see a kid in the mirror getting ready for a day at Oswego Catholic High School. I still see a sophomore in Randall Hall at the University of New Hampshire. I still see a young reporter brushing his teeth at night after a long slog in the newsroom at the Peabody Times.

Sure, it's a little harder to see past the wrinkles under the eyes, the gray in what's left of the hair, and the double chin that's trying to go triple. But I see it in the eyes that still have the outlook of 1968, 1973 and 1980.

I'll put another candle on the birthday cake soon enough to celebrate 57. But don’t wish me a happy 57th birthday. I won't believe you: 44 is the new 57.
Digg this

1 comment:

Joy Tilton said...

I write a lot about this angst too! My Mother in law has no clue she's 86 and would take off cross country if we didn't keep close tabs!