Sunday, December 8, 2013

Air Force ‘mob’ is my Christmas Moment

If you’ve read my musings for any length of time, you know that each year I anticipate the Christmas Moment as the holiday approaches.

The Moment is when I know I’m in the spirit of Christmas - of family, of belonging, of renewal.

Some years, such as last year, I was concerned that it might not arrive at all. But, as always and as reliably as the North Star, it did.

But this year, as of right now, it’s a done deal, thanks to Facebook, Claire Fournier and the United States Air Force Band.

I do my fair share of Facebook trolling. Claire Fournier is the mother of my son-in-law John, married to my daughter Elizabeth. She is one of my FB friends.

Claire, in a Christmas mood herself after completing decorating the house, found and posted a National Public Radio blog about a flash mob the Air Force band pulled off at the Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

Though it may not technically be a flash mob, band members on Dec. 8 came together in pieces to perform “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” from “The Messiah” by Bach. The band and the singers transitioned into “Joy to the World.”

See it here:


I don’t know that there’s anything more emotive to me at time than music. The right song at the right time will undo me. This is one.

I trust it’ll bring a tear or two or three of Christmas joy to your heart and soul. It did to mine.

Digg this

No comments: