Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A word about Boomer Angst

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve heard from friends about my Boomer Angst lapse.

They said they missed the weekly musings, and were curious why my postings had dropped off so dramatically..

I have a lot of excuses, but no good reasons.

My excuses were bound by artificial boundaries that prevented me from getting out of my own way when it came to writing.

I felt I was bounded by a weekly deadline. I felt I was bounded by having to write to a certain length. Often, I couldn't get motivated to coordinate my thoughts against those boundaries.

But here’s the thing about writing online: There aren’t many boundaries.

I was carrying those limits as a self-imposed hangover from my years in newspapers, where most everything had to be written for a certain time, to a certain length.

But I’ve retired from all that and need to apply the freedom of online to the freedom of posting my musings whenever the mood strikes to whatever length the subject might dictate.

No, I haven’t -- as one of my readers thought -- “given this up.”

I just became a little stupid about my approach to it. I’ll endeavor to be a little smarter about it.

I'll write when I feel like it. Post when I feel like it.

Digg this

No comments: